General Dynamics Corporation is a defense conglomerate & the fifth largest defense contractor in the world as of 2008. The company has four main business segments: Marine Systems, Combat Systems, Information Systems & Technology and Aerospace. The company generated US$ 29.3 billion asrevenues for 2008 & is headquartered at Falls Church, Virginia. The company has restructured markedly in the last two decades & the key events included sale of its famed F-16 production unit at Fort Worth to Lockheed & re-entry into the airframe business by acquisition of Gulfstream Aerospace.
SWOT Analysis is a framework used extensively for an assessment of the internal as well as external business environment as part of the strategic or corporate planning process. The framework generates a snapshot of the firm’s strengths & weaknesses as part of internal environment assessment andopportunities & threats as part of the external environment assessment that aids strategic decision making.
This SWOT analysis of the General Dynamics Corporation will be useful for
- Strategic decision making process at any level
- Assessment & evaluation of the firm’s responsiveness to the external environment
- Assessing the firm’s change readiness
- Identifying areas where strategic changes & improvements are necessary
- Assessment of the firm’s strategies
- Insights into the potential upcoming strategic changes at the firm & market level
The analysis will be essential for those having strategic interest in the company’s operations.